Sunday, April 12, 2009

ad crit 9


For my ninth ad crit, I found an art exhibit online at the National Gallery of Art focusing on Art Nouveau. Personally, I have always been attracted to the Nouveau movement because of it's organic-free form fluidity, so I decided to critique the homepage. The site is www.nga.gov/feature/nouveau.

The first place my eye catches is the eloquent banner at the top, which I suppose is what good websites are about. The design is simple, balanced, and indicative of the Art Nouveau era. This is backed up by the nouveau-style font in both the banner and the supporting font.

The color scheme is earthy and natural, which I feel also supports the mood of the style, natural and organic. The additional links and subtitles are also designed with the same colors and font, and although the font is different from what is used in the main banner it still harmonizes with the design.

The layout of the site is easy and explanatory. Links lead to exactly where they say they will and all linked information is easy to understand. The style of the linked pages are laid out slightly different but still mimic the nouveau style.

The only aspect of the site that bothers me is on the homepage. I feel there is too much excess space, blank space, to the far right of the type. I think the utilization of the space wasn't accounted for properly. Other than that, I think the site serves it's purpose well.


No comments:

Post a Comment