Sunday, March 22, 2009

ad crit-6

For my sixth ad crit, I decided to search the net instead of finding something in the house to examine. I found this 'logo' for the College of the Sequoias Social Work Club and decided to use this as the example.
I'm very confused, what's going on here? I am attracted to the use of color, which may indicate unity of some kind, but the whole design is very angular and cold to me. I suppose the little jagged people running or dancing or whatever look like they could be holding hands as a united front as well, but I don't understand the correlation of anything. Are rainbows a symbol of social work? Is the 'jaggedness' of the rainbow-like image representational of chaos and social workers can band together and fix it? What is the white spot in the center-bottom of the rainbow?
Another problem I have is with the font across the top. The bottom of the 'COS' and 'club' are cut off, and the 'social work' is akwardly bold and while curved, flat somehow. Maybe the jagged people are supposed to be holding up the heavy social work banner, but not reaching it-?
While I can't find much of anything that draws me to the logo, I think it could be reworked and be a powerful image. One thing I would do is play off of the sequoia aspect. They are huge, strong and can obviously stand the test of time-what better idea to use in your image? I also would use a circle or elipse to contain the sequoia, to give or reinforce that united feel, feeling of comfort and security. I would then find out if there was anything meaningful they would like to represent or associate with their club.
Bless their hearts, maybe I will contact them and offer to redesign their logo for them. I'm sensing a good resume builder and summer project!

No comments:

Post a Comment